Decks & Decking Video
Decks are a classic landscape element and function to link the outdoor world to the inside world of your home as a transitional area and also as an important space to do all kinds of things like entertain, dine, read, cook, read, lounge. We have built deck that incorporate spas, outdoor kitchens and fireplaces, coverings like roofs or pergolas to name a few options. The primary construction material is wood or one of the many man-made materials on the market today like composite decking or sheet vinyl.
Some Material Options
- Western Red Cedar: A traditional decking material that stands up well in the Calgary climate. It is naturally rot resistant and can be left to weather to a silver grey for a low maintenance approach if desired.
- Composite Decking: Several manufacturers make good quality decking as an alternatives to wood. They provide low maintenance, rich colors, and an upscale look that goes with many of today's homes.
- Sheet Vinyl: This option provides a sealed surface so the space beneath stays dry, hence it is a good option for an upper deck above a walkout. There are lots of colors and patterns available to combine with other landscape elements.
- Mahogany: A tropical hardwood, mahogany has a rich color and upscale look.
- Treated wood: Usually pine with a chemical treatment applied to make it resistant to rot. Good entry level material available in green or brown.
PRO LANDSCAPER TIP
Entry level composite decking is now more affordable and sometime even cheaper than wood options.