TRENDS IN BACKYARD LANDSCAPING - #1
The benefits of hiring a pro to achieve the ideal outdoor living space
Compared to other industries like fashion or interior design, landscaping trends have a much longer shelf life. In general, this is a good thing, as it means the investment you make today will stand up for years to come and increase in value, provided these projects have solid design principles, are built with high-quality materials, and use professional installation methods.
The following are some recent influences that are contributing to some of the latest trends:
- Gardeners are increasingly embracing the idea of ‘easy gardening.’ This should be differentiated from the concept of low-maintenance landscaping, which is still an important concept. Easy gardening maintains the fun aspects by removing or reducing some of the more tedious, timely, or physically demanding tasks.
- As the climate changes we also need to adapt. Therefore, a desire to work in harmony, rather than against Mother Nature, is trending. More green products and practices are available and viable as demand increases.
- Gardens and outdoor spaces can help bring balance to your life, as these spaces have been proven to help cope with stress, provided they are designed with the end-user in mind.
- When maximizing land use and increasing density, developers and planners are generally working with smaller properties; therefore, it is important to determine what you want to include, or exclude, when designing a landscape with limited space.
- Lastly, demographics are also shifting. Millennials are influencing the market, while at the same time the needs of Baby Boomers are changing.
Taking these influences into consideration, you will understand why the following are some of the latest emerging trends, as well as how they are affecting residential landscaping.
Originally published in Pools, Spas & Patios - 2017 Annual Issue.
Download the entire original article. Trends in Landscaping1.37 MB